• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

40/40 grind

I was rewatching Stewart Batty demonstrate using his 40/40 grind. Although I haven’t tried it I am still intrigued. Now that I’ve started turning seated it would seem unwieldy to try his positioning, etc. Does anyone use the 40/40 grind while turning seated?

Well, I don't know, and I am not a seated turner. One thing I figured out with Stuart's methods is that he, like me, tends to hold his tools more level when turning, rather than with the dropped handle. Not sure what difference that would make when turning while seated. My guess is it would depend on seat height. I do keep my flutes rolled over to the side when in use rather than more straight up.

robo hippy

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I know 3 seated turners who I have seen work a lot. Their methods are quit different.
they each have different mobility’s and take advantage of the movements they are comfortable with.
they have each found what works for them and have worked with other turners and gone to lots of Demos.
you will find what works for you.

turners A&B use an Ellsworth grind Both turn from wheel chairs. Turner C uses carbides.

turner A - locks the chair and uses the chair to brace his body. turns the part of the curve he can an repositions the chair. He is real quick at repositioning the chair some what like I would move my feet but stops turning when he moves the chair and usually moves the tool rest. Uses his upper body a lot

turner B - has some use of his legs. He moves the chair with his feet as he turns a curve. He also hollows bowls with the flute pointing down. Cutting on the leading edge of the wing Almost like the flute up Ellsworth shear cut that I use but upside down and he cuts an arc to the center bottom of the bowl

Turner C - can walk but not stand very long. He turns either from a stool or a motorized scooter. He uses carbides and turns with the lathe at his shoulder level. He keeps his elbow at his side holds the end of the handle just above his shoulder and turns by pushing the carbide forward (almost a dart thrower motion. He also turns his upper body A little.

all 3 do really nice work.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I hosted Troy Grimwood twice at my house. A few weeks of turning. He built the platform himself and turned just like any other turner. I wrote an article for Woodturning magazine about hosting a disabled turner. I was so worried when he asked me to come. I assumed I needed to change everything around.