• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adding string/rope to my work

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
I want to move along the learning curve with enhancements to my work and like the look of braided rope/cord, holes and burn lines in difference combinations. It's also something I think will be popular at my local makers markets. I've only made a few so far and since I had a big spool of natural jute string on hand that's what I used. There are lots of different kinds of leather cords and braided natural string available. Any inputs on ones that work better, look better, easier to work with? Any tips on tying off and securing the ends when done? I simply pulled it snug then carefully put some CA glue where the rope and wood meet up in the hole. If you look inside you can see my initial big starter knot and ends I've cut off. Not great and would like to be a bit more tidy inside the vessel. I plan to do the same to some bowls so certainly critical there.

IMG_4606.JPG

As to knots and tying, there are lots of online guide to knots for different purposes, might even pick up a Boy Scout book on knots.

As too materials, there are more materials than I can name, not to mention colored yarns to add a different dimension. Also consider using wire, copper, steel, stainless... Can get art wire in various gauges and colors. Don't limit yourself to single strands either. Can braid it, twist it with a drill, burn it with a torch, hammer it flat, etc. Nice thing about wire, you can get it through holes only slightly larger than it's diameter, and it stays in place easily. I just tuck ends into the vessel with a drop of CA.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
The double-overhand stopper knot is, in my opinion, a fairly compact relatively good-looking knot for stopping a line from pulling through an opening -- https://www.animatedknots.com/double-overhand-stopper-knot I use it on the ends of my sheets and halyards on my sailboats.

But I was thinking, why not leave your ends long, and after weaving your cord all the way around and tightening everything up, tie the two bitter ends off to each other (inside the vessel, or outside if you want to make the knot a feature). Then your cord would be self-secured without need for any glue. I guess it might be tough to tie off on the inside if you have a narrow opening to the vessel....