• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ALL WOOD HANGING EYE FOR ORNAMENTS

WHE1.JPG WHE2.JPG WHE3.JPG WHE4.JPG WHE5.JPG WHE6.JPG WHE7.JPG WHE8.JPG
These 8 photos I hope will illustrate how I produce a hanging Eye;
  1. This is the start of the process I start by turning the work piece to 5/8" diameter, cut the 1/4" tenon with an undercut visible in photo 5, cut down the diameter to the area of the ball and form a 5/8" ball.
  2. The ball is flattened to about 1/8" thick, with the spindle index engaged and the router suspended above the work piece on a U shaped fixture clamped to the lathe bed, then gently guide the router across the ball to flatten one side, then rotate the piece 180 degrees and complete the other side.
  3. The work piece flattened, note the stem next to the disc where it remains connected may need some carving to blend in.
  4. The 5/16" hole is drilled with a twist drill ground for wood meaning it has a center pilot point and spurs on the outer edges of the flutes. The machine that I am using is a milling machine which has no discernable runout or vibration and utilizes collets to mount the drill bit, although a drill press could be used the chuck may add runout. The chuck along with the 1 1/4"-8 adapter is removed from the lathe and clamped into the vise on the mill, as you tighten the vice hold the disc flat on the piece of scrap wood as shown. The drill bit should be adjusted to as close to center as possible then at high speed slowly drill the hole.
  5. The eye can be shaped like a donut by working a piece of cloth backed abrasive. I used P240 emery which I could grip the width needed using a plier to start the rip.
  6. The finished shaping looks a little lumpy but the camera is better than my eyes.
  7. The fitting probably should have been included in step 1.
  8. The assembly takes only a little Titbebond glue then push together hold about 30 seconds and you are done. Notice the black specks on the inside of the umbrella, that is the tannic acid that followed the water as the wood dried.