• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best size for large bowls

I have a section of a large cherry tree. The log is about 26” in diameter and 50” long. I want to make some large bowl blanks of it. What do you guys find to be a good size for “large” bowls? Yes, I *could* turn a 16” bowl, but I found that bowls that big aren’t that practical. What are your thoughts?

Most of what I turn is limited by the size of the logs I've got access to - I haven't found that large bowls are impractical or particularly hard to find homes for necessarily - but size is dictated by the grain of the log. The larger bowls are generally more open forms perfectly suited to display the contents - like fruit bowls. They do require a larger space, but I see them used on countertops often and are used by interior designers in larger architectural spaces or even hung as wall display pieces.
When the grain is centered in the final piece it will warp more symetically (I do both greenwood and twice turned bowls) so I plan the work to center. This sometimes limits size slightly if the pith isn't centered and anything outside of the blank is sawed into spindle squares if large enough. Nearly everything gets cored so I end up with a range of sizes (usually three or four) from the same blank.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
I have to remind myself of the phrase I heard an experience turner say once - decide if you want to make a good bowl or a big bowl. Sometimes they're not compatible and conflict. The desire to not waste wood is hard to fight. I've turned away a lot of a log to get a very nice bowl or hollow form with nice grain and then I've made some 15"+ (I'm limited to 16") and accepted some features like knots or bug activity. It depends sometimes on how much of the wood I have to experiment with. I do find that larger bowls don't sell as well at my markets but are a good "eye candy" item to bring people over to my booth. They all want to pick it up, look it over and then often end up buying a 9-12" size. The big ones do sell but not at the volume. Not sure if you're making it for a gift, yourself or to sell. I've been tempted to turn a really big one like Paul mentions but don't have a tool rest option yet for that kind of turning off the end of my lathe.

Bowls over about 14 inch diameter don't sell well for me. They are for very big families, or people who do a lot of entertaining. For a piece of cherry that size. Also, the big ones don't fit in a lot of cabinets. I would take a couple of center/quarter sawn slabs for plates and platters, and that would leave a good size blank for family sized salad bowls. In my years of doing the arts and craft shows, I figure I sold equal $ amounts of large and small bowls and plates. So, far more of the smaller pieces than the larger ones. I did make one 22 inch bowl, and ended up giving it to a nephew as a house warming present.

robo hippy