• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Better 10mm Vicmarc Key

This is one of those thing I wish I had thought of a long time ago--- Easier grip and a lot more leverage when used at 90d.
$10 at Home Depot online.
10mm - 1.jpeg

All, well the ones that I used, of the Vicmark keys broke at the plastic part. I found some 'loop' T handles at the local Ace Hardware store, and have been using them for a long time. I wanted more of them since I am planning on having play dates, and they were no longer carried at the store. Went to a local Bearing store, Kaman Industrial, and ordered some Bondhus loop hex T cush grip 9 inch wrenches, part #46576. I have cut off about 3 or so inches, and it has a bright red plastic dip handle. they will out live me, and if I drop it in the shavings, the red handle makes it much easier to find and accidentally throw out... They apparently only come in 2 packs, so I may have to buy another chuck or two, or three....

robo hippy

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I bought a set of Eklind loop T handle hex wrenches about two years ago (made in USA!), and I've really enjoyed them. The long shafts seemed awkward at first, and still don't work in some situations, but most of the time they are way better than the standard L-shaped wrenches.

Yeah, good suggestion, Tom. I don't know why it takes an "ah ha" moment to realize an awful tool just because it came with or you already have it. I bought a complete 3 "jacknife" set of metric and 'merican Allans and a set of Torx so that I would always have the correct size wrench at hand. Lately I'm thinking I should get some more of these so there's a complete set wherever I need them.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I broke the blue plastic handle off the key that came with a Vicmarc VM120 chuck in less than a week. Got a Bondhus T-handle and it's great. Somehow, the handle for my VM100 key hansn't broken yet....

Well, if you have a welder, and know how to use it, when the plastic breaks, you could weld a rod of about the same size to the top so you have a solid T instead of the short L...

robo hippy

I must be a wimp. I haven't broken any of my Vicmarc keys yet. :(
No Roger, I am the wimp because I no longer have the hand strength to to use the T-handle alone. I never broke a T-handle, though I suppose I would have if I had found that small piece of pipe I was trying to find so I could use it as a cheater bar on the T.

Well, I have been told I am part Sasquatch.... I used to turn far more than the average turner, and I figured that 'overuse' was what did the plastic handles in. I did learn, through trial and error, that you can over tighten when using a recess, though that doesn't seem to be a problem. The first set of loop T handles I got have developed a slight twist in them, thousands of repetitions...

robo hippy

Website
www.copassawmill.com
Well, we are woodturners. Turn a handle to your liking and cut a mortise for the short leg to drop into. Fill with epoxy and all is good.

The first time I drop Vicmarc wrench the blue plastic breaks. I must have a really hard concrete floor.

IMG_4166.JPG