• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

better to light a single candle...

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
So many of us with Rikon grinders have bemoaned the lousy light it provides. I've tried rigging up a couple of alternatives myself. A couple days ago while messing with it I realized that it wasn't a built-in permanent LED, but rather a screw-in light bulb. Well, we have choices in light bulbs!

It took a little fussing to get the right thing, but Amazon provided and I now have a light that is probably 20 times brighter! You need to look for a E14 base (common in Europe), bigger than a US candelabra base, 12V LED bulb. I bought these but many others will work.

I had to bend the outer ring contact in the socket out just slightly to make contact, the base is just slightly taller than on the original and the contact is deep in the socket.

Let there be light!

So many of us with Rikon grinders have bemoaned the lousy light it provides. I've tried rigging up a couple of alternatives myself. A couple days ago while messing with it I realized that it wasn't a built-in permanent LED, but rather a screw-in light bulb. Well, we have choices in light bulbs!

It took a little fussing to get the right thing, but Amazon provided and I now have a light that is probably 20 times brighter! You need to look for a E14 base (common in Europe), bigger than a US candelabra base, 12V LED bulb. I bought these but many others will work.

I had to bend the outer ring contact in the socket out just slightly to make contact, the base is just slightly taller than on the original and the contact is deep in the socket.

Let there be light!
There are so many choices. Which one did you get? Most of the ones I saw were 50 or 60 watt equivalent.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
There’s a link to the ones I got on Amazon in my first message. Click the underlined “these”. Can’t tell you they are “the best”, and unfortunately in packs of five.

the original is a 0.35 watt led, essentially a night light. The ones I got are 4 watt “equivalent to a 30W halogen “. They are dramatically brighter; even more would be great.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
pbase.com
index.php

Maybe that explains why I haven't been getting enough sleep. (E17 base diameter is 0.669", not 0.542")

Roger, this is a great tip. I actually got a replacement bulb (from either Ken Rizza or Rikon) and it was just as bad as the original. Problem is not just that the bulb is dim, but it flickers. Has your replacement solved the flicker problem, too, or was that not an issue with your grinder?

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I never noticed mine flickering, but it was so dim who could tell. I've been working on another project, so have only used the grinder a couple of times. I did not notice any flicker. Not to say it's not there. I don't know how they're generating the 12v supply for the bulb, but I imagine that flickering is probably going to vary with the bulb electronics design.