• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Books on Finishes for woodturners

Anybody know of any good books on finishes for woodturners ? I think Finishing is my week spot and i plan on focusing on improvement of my finishes. From my research so far i dont really find any that are woodturning specific, so right now I am thinking i will purchase Bob Flexner's new 3rd edition book and see what i can learn from it as i see a few of you recommending it in some of the articles. -Just thought i would see what you all thought before i make the purchase in case there are a few that are more specific for turners

I have Flexner’s book from 10-15yrs ago? As well as a handful of other finishing books. Flexner’s is the one I’ve read cover to cover, and still go back to it at least every year or so to refresh something. Get it, you won’t be sorry.

I've not seen any specific to turning. Flexner's book will teach you what you need to know regarding the different chemistries involved, the positives\negatives of each and how to best apply them. From all that info, it is easy to apply that knowledge to turning.

Yes to Flexner for understanding finishes, finishing, and the chemistry. Remember, finishing starts long before the application of finish. From the last few passes of a sharp tool, to starting and finishing with the right grit sandpaper, then finishing the finish, these are all a means to an end. There is nothing wrong with practicing or experimenting on a piece of flat wood. While applying finish to a piece of spinning wood has its own challenges, if you know the steps it took to get the finish you want on a piece of flat wood, you now have a better idea of what it will take to get that type of finish on your turning.

Russ’s Corner in the articles section of Woodcentral.com is an excellent summary of finishing techniques and preparation for finishing. Look for various Flexnor articles if you cannot find the book. He has written in the American Woodturner and a lot of his Popular Woodworking and American Woodworker articles are freely available from their archives.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find Flexnor and Dresdners books both fantastic but really you have to experiment and learn what works for you and your projects. We are turners not flat wood workers and our needs are different. What I find is thick quick finishes usually don't look good. They appear plastic and often cover show torn grain. What ever finish you use it it is super important to have the wood properly prepared. Of that I'm sure Flexnor and Dresdner agree although you can often stop sanding flat work much sooner than we turners do. Friction polishes are quick and look good but often don't hold up. Polyeurethane done properly looks great but and is probably food safe but since it's a surface finish is not so good for a user bowl. Same is true for lacquers and things like Watco. All look great when the piece is prepared properly but may not be the best for food use.

I have an ‘05 edition of Flexner’s book. I find this one useful as well. There may be a later edition.

Great Wood Finishes / Auth: Jeff Jewitt / Pub: Taunton Press 2000

I had been doing flat work finishing for ~ 25 years before I started turning. Understanding the basic chemistries and characteristics and behaviors of finishes makes it all make more sense and easier to sort through the intentionally confusing marketing.

I tried a few of the “turning finishes” and found it all pretty lacking for me. I use the same finishes and basic methods as flat work, with a bit of accommodation$ to turning. It’s acually easier to test out new things with turnings as the lathe can be used to aid sanding, buffing, and rubbing out.

FYI my favorites:
  • Spray Solvent Lacquer for fully filled hi gloss
  • Oil look - MW Poly thinned to wipe on viscosity and applied like oil, apply, soak, wipe off
  • Utility bowl, especially if utensils will be used - walnut oil. The prepolymerized linseed oil products like Rubio or Tried and True get harder and scratch, walnut oil is softer
I dont bother with water based finishes for turning due to the lack of chatoyance in the wood. Shellac under the wb finish can help a lot, and I do it for flat work. For turnings I would only use this method for filled, hi gloss, and I prefer the look of solvent lacquer.