• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Browse Videos?

When I go Resources/Video Sources, I no longer see a way to browse videos -- I am taken to the Search Now! screen, and if I only specify Type/Videos, I am only shown 5 or 6 titles. Surely there's a way to skim through all the titles, without putting in an Author, Category or such, as before the new format? Many thanks, -- Murray

For that matter, when I got to Find an Interactive Remote Demo, I'd like to browse and see what's available...
This new format wants me to be >much< more specific that I know how to be.

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Hi Murray:

You are correct, there is not a currently way to browse all of the videos within the database. The reason the entire database will not display is because the results slow down the functionality of the website.

What I recommend is that in the search menu under "Type" select "Videos" from the drop down menu. Then, type a letter "A" into the "Author" field and click the "Search" button. If you don't see anything of interest in the results displayed, type the letter "B" into the "Author" field and click the "Search" button. You can keep going through the alphabet until you find something of interest. This method might not be ideal, but it will enable you to browse the database.

If you have problems or need need further assistance, you may contact AAW by phone Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (CST) at 877-595-9094 (toll free U.S.) or 651-484-9094 or email us at memberservices@woodturner.org. We are happy to help.

Stay safe,
Kim

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
When I go Resources/Video Sources, I no longer see a way to browse videos -- I am taken to the Search Now! screen, and if I only specify Type/Videos, I am only shown 5 or 6 titles. Surely there's a way to skim through all the titles, without putting in an Author, Category or such, as before the new format? Many thanks, -- Murray

another way is to search by category. On the home page pick explore
09CDFB9F-9026-4E05-BC4B-E9F0B295284B.jpeg

Then choose video and bowls&boxes. This returns about 200 titles

Putting bowls in the keyword category returns about 60.
FEA7C563-BD0A-4F8D-8CDE-FFE6CA1DC488.png

Adding to the author drops it down to reasonable 3.
:) I like these :)

053D1780-D097-42DD-A94F-31F24E3E64C6.png

Well -- there we have it. Perhaps Video/Category could list some of the options, as well as show the ability to search for a different, unlisted topic?
Also, I am guessing that there are remote demos by people I've never heard of, on a topic that I would never guess exists.
Doing the A, then B thing doesn't appeal to me. This section of the web site doesn't feel particularly helpful or professional as it stands.
Thank you for the replies.

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
Well -- there we have it. Perhaps Video/Category could list some of the options, as well as show the ability to search for a different, unlisted topic?
Also, I am guessing that there are remote demos by people I've never heard of, on a topic that I would never guess exists.
Doing the A, then B thing doesn't appeal to me. This section of the web site doesn't feel particularly helpful or professional as it stands.
Thank you for the replies.
I'm sorry that the current video search features do not meet your needs. I will place this issue on our list for potential future upgrades.

Without any memory of the offerings above, I went to Woodturner.org to look for videos just to try the new site. I found it far from intuitive. In the past, one of the main reasons I visited the site is to look up an article, download a copy of AWT and once in a blue moon watch a video. I found it frustrating to have to go that deeply into the site to access the best resource that exists for our members. IMHO should be on the second menu if not the home page. I am not a Newbie, an 18 year member.

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
e moon wat

Hello Mike:

I'm sorry that you did not find our website intuitive and that you needed to go deeply into the site to find the information you were seeking. Websites are never done and we are always looking for ways to improve the experience for our users. We are always happy to accept ideas and suggestions for improvements.

We are always happy to assist you in finding information. If you need assistance, we encourage you to contact us by phone Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (CST) at 877-595-9094 (toll free U.S.) or 651-484-9094 or email us at memberservices@woodturner.org. We are happy to help!

That said, there are typically several ways to get to AAW content. For Explore/VideoSource, here are a couple of easy ways to get to it:

From the public Homepage (not logged in):PublicHomepage.JPG

From the member Homepage (logged in): MemberHomepage.JPG

From the main menu:
MenuDropDown.jpg

I hope that this information helps.

Kindest regards,
Kim

IMG_7317.PNG IMG_7318.PNG Kim. I have been using Woodturning Forums and Club websites, intensively since about 2000, when the major resource was rec.crafts.woodturning, a News Group later bought by Google. Forums did not yet exist. I am not about to waste my time contacting the AAW for advice on how to navigate a site. It should just happen! Since early in 2013 my major web access tool has been through Safari on my iPad and occasionally my Win 10 Notebook using Chrome.

For one thing after several months of this format or intermediates, the site still does not recognize me and I have to log in. Here are the screen shots that I get if I click on Resources with no login. Not even close to what you show as screens. I am going to post a second response.

IMG_7319.PNG This is what I get if I click on Find a... Nothing about Articles or Videos etc. ??? It is like playing 20 questions to navigate a maze.

So this morning I decided to immediately log in to see if things behave better. Menu structure presented on the iPad is no different than the two previous posts I made when I had not logged in. It seems the only expedient way to find something, is to search and then it still takes a couple more steps. Never could find a complete list of all AWT issues in some fashion, either just a physical list or covers as it used to be. Was not broken, did not need fixing!

I have to agree mike. The old website setup worked. This new version is very hard to navigate and I find poorly laid out. You really have to search yo find anything you are looking for. They have not made it easy.

Kim,

I think you should have a photo of Jimmy Clewes on your Jimmy Test account. Maybe a very young Jimmy Clewes with an insouciant demeanor. :D

Yesterday, I tried using Chrome on my Notebook Windows 10 computer and go the result that Kim showed. That is fine. The dropdown easily leads you. Today I tried using Chrome on my iPad and got the same results that I did when using Safari and posted above. It was my understanding that the new site was very much a work in progress. Is that still the case?

I logged in on my iPad over the weekend and unless I took a path I had not been on before, it seems the software has been updated for ios. From the home page, there are now buttons that link to the key areas, very similar to Windows screen. Thank you to the development team.

I too had the same problem earlier today after browsing an old issue of Woodturning Fundamentals that point me to videosource.org. Without the help of this single forum thread I would have NEVER found the video I was looking for. Thanks to all and now I can only hope that I REMEMBER how to do it next time.

Suggestion
Why not just provide a list of the videos in a table form or pdf
We could then as members print off a copy and use the chart to choose which videos to watch
The chart could then be updated by providing a list of new videos on a regular basis

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
pbase.com
Suggestion
We could then as members print off a copy and use the chart to choose which videos to watch
The chart could then be updated by providing a list of new videos on a regular basis

The AAW staff are unlikely to see your suggestion since this thread has been dormant for over two months. You should contact Kim Rymer at the AAW office with your suggestion.

Below is a in bold print copy of an e mail I received from the AWW
Brian Deakin
Suggestion
The AAW staff are unlikely to see your suggestion since this thread has been dormant for over two months. You should contact Kim Rymer at the AAW office with your suggestio

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
pbase.com
Below is a in bold print copy of an e mail I received from the AWW

No, it is not from the AAW. If you look just one post above your's you will see that is my reply to your suggestion. The email that you received is just an automated notification of a new post in a thread that you are watching. Whenever you post in a thread you are by default watching that thread.

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
Hello All:

The AAW website is continuously a work in progress. We are continually making changes by offering new content and to enhance member experience. The current website (since December 2019) does not offer a way to browse videos, but it may be an option in the future.

If you have comments (including complaints) or suggestions about the website, I welcome your feedback at kim@woodturner.org.

Cheers!
Kim