• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buying first chuck

Lawrence, If I were you, I would thread the Nova onto your spindle without 2 additional contraptions which might add inaccuracy and certainly will move your work piece farther from the headstock.

Doing it that way, you would have to remove your 1X8 adapter to use the Nova, but IMHO, it's worth it. If you wanted, you could buy a couple more adapters, fit each 1X8 chuck with one and just leave them on. Or sell a couple 1X8 chucks and get another 1 1/4X8 chuck.

Last edited:
You could always use the 1x8" chucks on your tailstock if you have a live center adapter with the 1x8" thread which are very common. I have turned many pieces over the years that required holding the piece firmly at both ends using (2) bowl chucks and (1) live center adapter in the tailstock..

My first chuck was for a insert-type G3 for a mini lathe. I soon moved to larger lathes, so all I had to do was change the insert. I still use the mini for demos, so I just change the insert. I currently have that original G3 on my 25" swing lathe for a spindle project.

You can never have too many chucks, to prove that point go ahead and list any chuck you have and it will most likely be sold within the week of the listing.

I think at one time I had about 12 chucks. I sold all my Novas and Record chucks. I kept my Hurricane HTC 125 and bought 3 Axminister chucks. I have the O’Donnell jaws that I use a lot, 6” gripper jaws, 4” dovetail jaws, 2 1/2” C jaws and one special set of jaws. To change jaws using the Axminister you buy slides for the jaws and just crank one set out and another set in. I only had two Axminister chucks for a long time, but Lee Valley closed out their Axminister line and I just couldn’t pass up the savings. I really didn’t need it. When you have so many chucks you need a place to keep them. I am much happier not having a bunch of chucks just because I bought a set of jaws that were used maybe once or twice.