• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chainsaw tool and chain organization

My family of chainsaws has grown to 3, all with different bar types/sizes, so I now have to keep my chains separated. There's also a small but growing collection of tools, lumber crayons, wedges and other chainsaw-related gear that is overflowing out of the shredded cardboard box I've been using for so long. My current chain organizing system is to use a heavy, labeled ziptop bag for each chain type, and a single larger bag for chains that need sharpening. It mostly works.

I'd like to make a compact, lightweight-but-sturdy carrying box for organizing the chains and tools so I don't have to dig to the bottom to find what I need every time. The box doesn't have to hold the saws, the fuel or the gallon jugs of bar oil (though I might keep a smaller container of bar oil in it). Just chains and tools. Do you have one you like? Willing to post a picture or link? Another question is what you consider to be essential gear to keep in a chainsaw kit. Do you carry first-aid supplies? Fire extinguisher? Snacks? Air horn? Axe? Shovel?

Rather than trying to make one, I'd take a look at the multitude of option in plastic storage and tool boxes. You'll never make one as light and functional as what you can buy. I 've just got one saw, but in my little box I keep extra chains, my sharpener, spare sparkplug and bar tool as well as whatever wrenches you may need to do quick adjustments/repairs in the field - screwdrivers, torx drivers, etc.

Before buying one, lay out everything you want to put in it so you get an idea on size style of box needed.

I don't keep any first aid in box, always have that in vehicle or toolboxes that are close at hand. Wedges, axe, and other associated tools are usually carried in a 5 gal bucket

I don't have an extra box for tools. I just use an empty kitty litter bucket to carry all my peripheral stuff:
1616097965209.png

In it I keep extra chains, sharpening file, wedges, extra multi-tool wrench, sharpie markers, a couple of bottles of 2 cycle oil, 24" level, tape measure, zero center 24" ruler and probably some other things I can't think of right now.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I have all my "stuff" in a plastic bin. At home, the chaps, long-sleeve shirt, hardhat, etc are hanging on a peg. Also hanging there is a tool pouch on a belt containing wedges, a scrench and a small axe. When I travel, I can just barely fit that into the bin with the other tools, spare parts, chain, etc. Gas & oil & saw (& water & etc) travel outside the bin. First aid kit is always in the shop and another in the truck. How much "extra" stuff I take (extra fuel/oil, a larger axe, etc) depends on if I'm cutting wood, felling a single tree, or working in a felling crew for a day.

For chain, I have a few containers - I think they originally held lemonade powder - which let me fit in about 3 carefully coiled chain loops. The containers are reasonably sturdy with a good lid. And I can mark them with what they hold. Dull chain just gets hung on a peg in the shop (or tossed in the bottom of the bin in the field until I get back to the shop) so I can see when I need to take a batch to the sharpener guy at the saw shop.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I now have, I guess, 5 chain saws, but I don't have extra chains (the chains stay on the saw until they're worn out), but I do have a bunch of files, wrenches, etc... I keep that stuff in a plastic tote box (for a while now). I sharpen my own chains, and *try* to touch up the chain with every tank of gas, but that doesn't always happen.... Periodically tuning up the bar is just as important as keeping the chain sharp.

Kalia,
I used to sharpen my chains while in the field. A few years ago, I treated myself to a chainsaw sharpening grinder. Now, I go into the field to cut wood with a few chains for each saw. If a chain gets dull, I just change it out. Sharpen it at home. To keep the chains somewhat organized, I put one of them into a single zip lock bag. Then I place the bagged chain into a large plastic jar (nut jar from Costco). I have a jar for each saw.
My "tool box" is a 5 gallon plastic bucket. I have a peanut butter jar with small parts in it........extra bar nuts, pull rope, spark plug, etc. My first aid kit is lacking....I take band aids. My bucket carries the needed screw driver, wrenches, plastic wedges, etc.
I can see where a nice old fashioned "tool box" would work well.
It is wise to have two chainsaws when you go cut wood. We do stupid things sometimes and get a chainsaw jammed up in the wood. Never hurts to have too many sharp chains when you go also. In the truck, I carry a "Woodcutter's First Aid kit".

Kalia,
I used to sharpen my chains while in the field. A few years ago, I treated myself to a chainsaw sharpening grinder. Now, I go into the field to cut wood with a few chains for each saw. If a chain gets dull, I just change it out. Sharpen it at home. To keep the chains somewhat organized, I put one of them into a single zip lock bag. Then I place the bagged chain into a large plastic jar (nut jar from Costco). I have a jar for each saw.
My "tool box" is a 5 gallon plastic bucket. I have a peanut butter jar with small parts in it........extra bar nuts, pull rope, spark plug, etc. My first aid kit is lacking....I take band aids. My bucket carries the needed screw driver, wrenches, plastic wedges, etc.
I can see where a nice old fashioned "tool box" would work well.
It is wise to have two chainsaws when you go cut wood. We do stupid things sometimes and get a chainsaw jammed up in the wood. Never hurts to have too many sharp chains when you go also. In the truck, I carry a "Woodcutter's First Aid kit".
What is a woodcutters first aid kit? Mine would be my wife in the front seat with a cell phone and a bandage!

I have 4 or 5 chainsaws, between them are 3 chain sizes. My solution is a toolbox, containing files, magic marker, guides, screwdrivers, multitools & extra chains. I also have a couple small oil for fuel, in case I need to fill up away from home. The bigger issue has become storing the saws themselves. Need to build a storage solution to take up vertical space in shed, and avoid the current pile o saws on the floor.

I have 4 or 5 chainsaws, between them are 3 chain sizes. My solution is a toolbox, containing files, magic marker, guides, screwdrivers, multitools & extra chains. I also have a couple small oil for fuel, in case I need to fill up away from home. The bigger issue has become storing the saws themselves. Need to build a storage solution to take up vertical space in shed, and avoid the current pile o saws on the floor.
Quick and easy, if you have a well aged (dead wood, well dried) piece of log from in the woods, cut off a chunk long enough to stand on end in your shed, then do boring cuts at downward angles all the way through with your biggest saw (careful, boring cuts can be quite dangerous) then simple enough to just stick saw bar into one of those slots and park saw there.. I'd suggest a liberal coat of extra bar and chain oil on the bars the first few times, to sort of seal the wood from absorbing any moisture from bars (warm bars, in cool air, moisture can condense) I used to do that for used chainsaw display rack in my old small engine shop.. :) - Oh yeah also, I did later on add a bit of a 2x4 "sleeve" to cover protruding bar tips (attached to log with pocket holes) in later years, when it became increasingly obvious that people were getting dumber and dumber and would hurt themselves on a sticking out bar&chain even if it was well out of the way, and would sue for something as little as farting in their airspace.. But that could be optional, if you locate your "sticking out" ends somewhere they'll be out of the way (so as to not inadvertently catch oneself or an extension cord on them)

Last edited: