• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chris Ramsey's Bowl Bending Process

In a recent post of mine entitled "On A Bender" @Don Wattenhofer has asked for some in process images.
Th first image was taken fresh off of the lathe with the piece turned, sanded and a heavy coat of lacquer mixed 50%--50% with lacquer thinner. Brushing on the lacquer/thinner mixture insures the piece will not crack (if turned to a thickness of 1/2" or less) and it seals in the moisture. Sealing in the moisture is key to getting a piece to have an extreme bend. The brushed on lacquer significantly slows the drying time down of the piece and allows the time necessary for a controlled bend.

IMG_0747.jpg

The following image was taken when the piece was being bent with the use of a bar clamp and numerous rubber bands. Heat lamps were used to accelerate the bending process. This image was taken at 15 hours after being turned.

IMG_0763.jpg

I should have looked at this before I tried it on my own, but my main concern was breaking the bark edge with all of those rubber bands.

This is my second attempt at bowl bending using black cherry about 8" diameter and a rotten pith stabilized with CA.The end to the right in the picture cracked near the rotten pith so it will probably not be a keeper, however it is good experience. All comments are welcome.DSC00507.JPG