• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning up Danish Oil

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I just got home from a family-related trip. Before I left I had done the third soaking of a Cook Pine bowl. I usually wipe off the excess and or oozing oil several times a day. Today I found several lines of still tacky oil, with a droplet at the end. If you try to clean that up with sandpaper you will find that it will clog it up quickly. My good friend Wayne Omura was visiting, he cleans up and applies oil with fine steel wool. Since I didn't have any, I used 320 Abranet. I apply some oil over the drips and proceeded to clean it up. Abranet did a good job, will have to try steel wool if I ever need to clean up again, but I will use to apply the oil, the final wet sanding step.

Card scrapers come in all shapes and sizes, including some with French curves. It is also easy to make your own from old hand saw plates. Some even make them from steel strapping used for shipping.

Emiliano

Did you say you soak your Cook Pine bowl in Danish oil???
And multiple times??? Do you only soak cook pine or all your
varieties of wood? And that is one of your steps in finishing?
and where in the process of finishing is the danish oil soak...

I am not trying to
steal your process......but i had never heard of soaking in danish
oil.....Only about 4 yrs exp fpr me and i am still trying to get
to improvement in my finishing..so this is a new one for me

thanks much and i love your turnings.....

big fan of the Hawaiian woodturner!!!!!!

Mlyle

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
It is a homemade mix, but I believe it is very close to Danish Oil. I have about 5 gallons of boiled linseed oil and maybe 1.5 gallons of mineral spirits in a giant aluminum pot. I used to add some poly but you have to keep adding mineral spirits more often. I leave the cook pine bowls overnight in the mix. I wipe and let it dry and repeat the process up to 4 or 5 times. I mostly only soak cook pine. I use wipe on Danish Oil for Koa and Milo. You are not stealing anything, I wish I could tell you I invented this! Take a look at ronkent.com he is the one that invented it. He explains the process there. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Aloha

@Emiliano Achaval

Well i read the Ron Kent article from the South puget sound
woodturners meeting on Wood Prep....
What a good read....
So I got some really nice figd Walnut and am soaking it
with Costco liquid dish detergent off and on for the next
few days then i will finish the bowl
so here is my Walnut bowl yesterday and i will
update as I finish and complete the bowl.
So if the bowl disintegrates I am goingg to blame you. haha
for putting the idea in my head....
But u know what.....
I am embarrassed as Ron Kent gave the interview to the
South Puget Sound Woodturners.......and I am a member
of that group and missed him when he was here at our
meeting......damn....

Thanks for listening

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_155122_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20200207_155122_hdr.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 50

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
here are pix from todays soaking of walnut
bowl in dish detergent

View attachment 32044

View attachment 32045
One of the reasons Ron experimented with soap was to see if he could cut the Cook Pine better. With today's steels, like the V10 from Dough Thompson, and a 40/40 grind, I can cut the Cook Pine so much better than with an old carbon steel tool. Especially on a big piece, we had to sharpen so often we used to leave the grinder on all the time so we didn't have to wait for it to start.

One of the reasons Ron experimented with soap was to see if he could cut the Cook Pine better. With today's steels, like the V10 from Dough Thompson, and a 40/40 grind, I can cut the Cook Pine so much better than with an old carbon steel tool. Especially on a big piece, we had to sharpen so often we used to leave the grinder on all the time so we didn't have to wait for it to start.

Interesting comment on sharpening, there.

The wood work in my house and many turnings are all finished with Watco Danish oil so I have had the problem with missing the final rub down. The cleanup method is usually dependent on how heavy the sticky film is and the length of time it has been drying. The methods of removing it have already been mentioned including fresh oil and Steel wool, card scrappers etc. The preferred method would be fresh oil to soften it or just don't let it happen.