• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drill Bits. What to Use?

If I want to get some spindle type practice making some tool handles, what is the best type of drill bit to use in the tail stock for drilling a 5/8" hole? I have a project plan for a hole this size.

I have a forester bit in that size, but if a Brad Point is better, I need to order one.

Thanks

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
When I can I drill the hole first on a drill press. Then center the hole with a cone center.
If using the drill press the Forster will work well.

When I drill tool handles on the lathe.
I turn the handle between centers with the butt of the handle driven by a spur bit.
To drill the hole. I put a bradpoint bit in a Jacob’s Chuck in the head stock.
Put the spur in the tailstock and use it to push the handle on to the drill bit using the tailstock handwheel.
Mark where the spur was before turning it around. I rest my hand or wrist on the tool rest and hold the handle on center as l begin to drill.
Easier to control a 18-24” handle this way.

Thankyou, I never thought about doing it that way on the lathe, that was very helpful.

I tried it using a spur drive in the headstock and a Jacobs chuck with a forester bit in the tailstock, but it got to the point where the friction of the Forster bit overcame the grab of the spur drive even though I was clearing out the drill shavings.

I will try your method tomorrow, thanks again.

Maybe too late for what you have turned, but I have made a small tenon and held the handle in a chuck while drilling with forstner bit mounted in tailstock. Probably less accurate than Al's method, but good enough, especially if you will epoxy the tool in the handle.

Hmm, can't remember.... I think I use a tenon on the butt end of the handle, then drill from the tailstock, then use a cone center in the hole so it stays centered on the handle. I do prefer the brad point bits. The forstner bits tend to wander. That some times can be a good thing because if tolerances are tight, then you get a very tight fit because of the wandering. I have never epoxied a handle into a handle.

robo hippy

Found a 5/8" Brad Point bit, in my drawer of misc. bits, so I tried the Hockenberry method, as described above, and it worked great.

Drilled two 4"deep holes, without any issues, one in hard Maple the other in Zebrawood.

Thanks.