• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust/covid mask???

I saw these, via a non turning friend, and will admit I had thought of this idea. I am having trouble finding anything out about them. I did send an e-mail and am waiting to see if I get a response. Surprised it took so long to find pleated paper inserts for a dust mask...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTLrySfMZU

My search skills are not all that good....

robo hippy

It has exhaust valves which means the mask is not protecting those around you. Although these valves may direct exhaled air behind you. Can't really tell from the video. Not sure that the filter has enough surface area to make inhalation easy, and replacements would of course be proprietary. But people can sort of see your lips move, so there's that.

Last edited:
In theory, cloth masks allow the air to move through them, but the fabric acts as a fine enough filter to reduce the distance the exhalation moves. The vented N95 masks that are known to be a problem allow unfiltered air to move out. If the mask shown has filter elements and all the exhaled air moves through them, it might be OK, as long as the pore size of the filter is small enough. (As eye glass wearers know, with cloth and surgical masks the exhaled air tends to go up along the nose, rather than through the fabric/paper as desired. This still protects others, as the exhalation is rerouted and not broadcast long distances away from the wearer)

There was an Australian company selling pliable plastic face masks with built in filters about 8 years ago, when the western wildfires were so bad we weren't supposed to go outside. I think Vince Welch sold them for a while as shop 'respirators', too. They had fairly persuasive marketing materials, but I never found them very comfortable or easy to breath through, and stuck with the 3M half face respirators.

I would think that the pleated paper filter area is too small, at least for my lung capacity. I am some where between 'at least double normal' to 'totally off the charts'. I know some one makes 'pollen' masks for athletes as there was one runner here at the U of Oregon who had to wear one during pollen season. We grow a lot of grass seed here.... I have seen pollen 'dust devils'.... I guess I need to have one of these in hand to see how they work. Waiting to hear back...

Never knew how much I depended on lip reading till every one started wearing the masks...

robo hippy

I don't want to hijack this thread but I saw this mask by Microclimate recently. https://microclimate.com/
product_shot_4.jpg

It features two fans, 4 HEPA 11 filters, a neck seal, 8 hours of rechargeable battery life with an acrylic helmet and it weighs less than 2 lbs for around $300. I can't find any info about any lens markings or ANSI Z87 or ANSI Z87 + ratings. It looks very comfortable but that would change in a split second if the impact rating was insufficient for what we do.

It is, of course, designed to be a high end Covid-19 mask.
Has anyone heard about any turners considering these?

Update: I've emailed the company requesting more info on the ANZI rating for the helmet.

Last edited:
Website says “acrylic” not polycarbonate, so I don’t think you’ll be happy with impact resistance. Additionally, doesn’t look like there’s any support preventing lens from smashing into your nose and face before shattering...