• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jam Chuck

I was going to make a jam chuck to use while making pepper mills. I'd like to use a small face plate to mount the wood to. In the past i've used straight grain wood as a jam chuck but am wondering about putting screws into end grain to hold the face plate. Where would you attach the face plate, face grain or end grain?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I was going to make a jam chuck to use while making pepper mills. I'd like to use a small face plate to mount the wood to. In the past i've used straight grain wood as a jam chuck but am wondering about putting screws into end grain to hold the face plate. Where would you attach the face plate, face grain or end grain?

I don’t think it matters since the jamb chuck’s wood is being compressed into the headstock just as much as the workpiece is (so is as equally secure). The screws will only serve to keep the chuck’s wood from rotating and the jamb wood only serves as a somewhat customizable mating profile to the workpiece.

Another use for a wooden morse taper. And, it doesn't tie up a face plate. Here is a pic of my traveling buffer, but the idea is the same. Turn the morse taper, then install in the headstock and turn the end to fit the pepper mill blank. The follower on the live center is threaded on and turned in the headstock. A drawbar is recommended, a 3/8 x 16 tap will tap a oneway style live center. In a class, it (turning a wood morse taper) gets students thinking a little outside the box, plus it's another skill building project...

SAM_2261.JPGSAM_2264.JPG

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ditto that a faceplate would hold endgrain for a jamb Chuck
The Morse taper works real well
I mount a lot of jamb chuck blocks in my chuck. Need a really good tenon.

They can get out of true but doesn’t happen often if the wood is dry.

Thank you all. I've held them in my chuck but have experienced the troubles you mentioned. I remember now I have a tap and at one time made some specialized drive chucks that threaded on the spindle. I may try that.