• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Parting tool use on cross gain orientation?

Is it inadvisable to use a parting tool on a cross grain piece to separate the project from the chuck? Only used to part endgrain pieces?
Thank you for your advice.

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
the Many risks of doing it make most folks avoid it. It can be done.
the parting tool does not cut cross grain well usually leaving tear out.
the risk of a catch on the endgrain will pop the whole piece free from the tenon in an instant.
once the cut diameter gets less than about an inch the piece easily breaks free.

i much prefer revers chucking bowls and hollow forms regardless of grain orinetaion
this allows the bottom to be finished turned.

a saw is better than a parting tool.

on occasion I will use a parting tool to cut pieces in half or to cut a squares ring free from a piece or cut slated rings to make a stacked ring piece like a birdhouse roof.

Last edited:

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Reverse chucking a bowl is something I do in the video of a demo below.

fast forward to 33 min - I measure the bottom thickness eliminates any chance of making a funnel without knowing you are likely to do so.
fast forward to 34 min - to see the reverse chucking.

practice with the spindle gouge Until you are comfortable using one.
a common mistake in reverse turning is to let the spindle gouge get pulled under the little pin you make.
working more on the top with the roll rest a tiny bit above center eliminates that risk.

Mounting and turning a dried bowl -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCZWsHB4vlM

I have seen parting/bedan/'sizing tools used to form tenons. and while they do a fair job of forming the sides of a tenon. I would still clean it up with a gouge, mostly for less tear out. They can be used to part off bowl blanks, but for me, I don't leave enough of a recess to make a parting tool worth the effort. It would be the same thing with removing a tenon. If you have a long tenon, you are kind of wasting wood, and I am frugal...

robo hippy