• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Punky Wood Tip

I know that many of you like myself are always on the lookout for old spalted wood logs. Many times we all have experienced when cutting into the log we find some nice spalting along with some soft punky wood. I found a product (which many may already know) for soft punky wood called Minwax Wood Hardener Professional Strength. I have tried it on some real pundy soft wood and this stuff works. What I do is take a acid brush and brush the product over the punky wood and I let it stay overnight. I can then sand it, turn it with no problems and when finished it does not leave a stain. A word of caution, be sure to read the warning labels and wear your PPE ie, Paint respirator for the flumes, eye protection and rubber gloves. I'm in no way affiliated Minwax, it's just a good product for soft wood. Happy Turning!

I've also been using a Minwax hardener product occasionally for 25-30 years and it always worked well. Just checked my cans (old) and it's called "High Performance Minwax Wood Hardener". It is a water-thin clear liquid and seems to have no affect on the color of wood. Maybe Minwax upgraded their packaging and changed the name? I used to make many small items for sale (2"-3"), and I'd submerge any spalted woods and burls in a cat food cans with the liquid (weighted down) until all the escaping air bubbles stopped. When dry I would then turn them...probably similar to stabilized wood. Of course, for bowls & such just brush it on like Lamar mentioned.

I use walnut oil for my finish. Any experience with this being in the wood, dried, and then putting walnut oil over it?
I have a bottle of walnut oil purchased a few years ago...but never opened it! So, I can't speak to that specifically - but I would assume that if the entire piece wasn't coated with hardener it would leave a blotchy surface. Similar to repairs made with CA glue and the oil finish doesn't penetrate.

I have a bottle of walnut oil purchased a few years ago...but never opened it! So, I can't speak to that specifically - but I would assume that if the entire piece wasn't coated with hardener it would leave a blotchy surface. Similar to repairs made with CA glue and the oil finish doesn't penetrate.
I don't know about Walnut oil but I've used the product with Danish oil with no problems.