• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Segmented bowl

The pros are a lot less mess and faster to turn. The cons are it takes longer to cut and glue everything. It was a fun process and I will definitely make some more.
When you consider the amount of time it takes a green rough turned bowl to dry enough to finish the segmentation would be a lot quicker start to finish. You would just have quite a bit more hands on time. I do like the fact that the glueup can give you 100 percent side grain to turn.

Nicely done Rusty! Your alignment looks great and you’ve discovered that scraps is a poor description of left over wood pieces. Gary is correct about side grain, you are also free to build any size vessel blank you want. Looking forward to your future efforts!

Rusty, that is a great looking piece. My complements! Segmenting is a good way to use those scraps that accumulate in a box or bucket. I never throw away anything unless it is real small, cracked or useless in some way. BTW, I use them for pens.

When you consider the amount of time it takes a green rough turned bowl to dry enough to finish the segmentation would be a lot quicker start to finish. You would just have quite a bit more hands on time. I do like the fact that the glueup can give you 100 percent side grain to turn.
Gary no drying time is one of the best parts. I should have put that in the pros.

This is my process for making the rings. If anybody sees a problem or easier way feel free to let me know.
I cut the segments on my table saw with the miter gage.
I put glue on the ends and put them on painters tape.
I flip them on their side and roll it into the ring.
I put a hose clamp on and tighten it up to get the ring tight.
I don’t have a picture of it but I made a 12” disc sander to go on my lathe to sand them flat to glue the rings together.

Attachments

• 246C4B46-4443-4AF0-BAAA-BA2E1ECC3678.jpeg
    246C4B46-4443-4AF0-BAAA-BA2E1ECC3678.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 847251EE-D0A5-41A4-9055-921FB468AC40.jpeg
    847251EE-D0A5-41A4-9055-921FB468AC40.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 23
  • AC22543F-9506-4FFB-9B0F-ADADA7C57FE7.jpeg
    AC22543F-9506-4FFB-9B0F-ADADA7C57FE7.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 22
This is my process for making the rings. If anybody sees a problem or easier way feel free to let me know.
In segmenting, there is really no absolute right way (or wrong way) to do things ... some just work better than others. It looks like this process is working for you!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm following. That's how I did it early on. Lately after years of not making segmented pieces I put glue on both piece and push them together lightly. I don't try to squeeze the glue out. I do this on a board that is flat and waxed. When I get the ring assembled I put the hose clamp on and squeeze the ring fairly snug. then I use a plastic mallet to drive them all flat and snug up the clamp further. I wipe off the glue on the top surface. I have done what you do years ago and still do on compound miter rings.

I'm following. That's how I did it early on. Lately after years of not making segmented pieces I put glue on both piece and push them together lightly. I don't try to squeeze the glue out. I do this on a board that is flat and waxed. When I get the ring assembled I put the hose clamp on and squeeze the ring fairly snug. then I use a plastic mallet to drive them all flat and snug up the clamp further. I wipe off the glue on the top surface. I have done what you do years ago and still do on compound miter rings.
Rusty from the looks of your joints the angle must be pretty exact if you can glue the entire ring at once. To add to what John said I cover my assembly board with poly sheeting then take the first piece put some glue on it and run the 2nd piece against it to evenly spread the glue on both then put glue on the other side of the second piece and rub the 3rd piece. Set the 3rd piece down and push 1 & 2 together, then the 3rd to the 4th ETC. and when all of the joints have glue put the hose clamp on, hammer the joints even and wash the glue off of both sides. Note; I flatten the rings with my drum sander and excess glue is hard on the sanding belt but the joint between rings is near perfect.

I had a bit of an issue with joint glue starvation. To address I changed to applying glue twice. Arrange all segments in a circle with a 1/2” or so gap between them, then work my way around the circle applying glue to each segment side, then around a 2nd time, push it all together and hose clamp. Never get my angle perfect enough for me, so I use dowels and glue 1/2 rings, sand flat, glue 1/2’s together -always get tight joints with plenty of glue. I use butcher paper, with a plastic coating on one side, on the bench to do gluing.

My brother is cutting a set of Wedgies for me on his CNC router. Also doing the parts for the Wedgie Sled. (He’s bored of making flags )

I’m hoping to cut segments accurate enough to glue the entire ring at once.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Doug I ran into the same starvation problem with a mahagony piece I did. I would apply glue to the joint and rub them together. then set the pieces down while I applied glue to the next 2, rub those and set them down. Then go back to the first set and apply more glue and just gently rub them to make sure the glue covered all the surface then put them together lightly. I continue this until the ring has been assembled and then add the band clamp and start squeezing and go through the rest of the process above.
Years ago I did a test on end grain to end grain glue ups and sizing the joint (applying glue and letting it soak in) made a huge difference in the strength.

My brother is cutting a set of Wedgies for me on his CNC router. Also doing the parts for the Wedgie Sled. (He’s bored of making flags )

I’m hoping to cut segments accurate enough to glue the entire ring at once.
segmentCutting.jpg
This segment cutting jig will when properly tuned cut accurate segments. The first step is to set the saw as accurately as possible to the required angle, which in 8 segment rings is 22 1/2 degrees. The secondary table is mounted and a set of segments is cut from low grade material and dry fitted to checked for accuracy. This jig also has the advantage of cutting every possible segment from a strip.

The first step is to set the saw as accurately as possible to the required angle, which in 8 segment rings is 22 1/2 degrees. The secondary table is mounted and a set of segments is cut from low grade material and dry fitted to checked for accuracy. This jig also has the advantage of cutting every possible segment from a strip.
I'm hoping to eliminate the tedious angle setting and the need to cut test segments. We'll see...

Wedgie Sled will allow cutting the angle accurately enough to glue the ring together all at once. Need to pay attention to getting the sled square and parallel when you make it.

Phil

Wedgie Sled will allow cutting the angle accurately enough to glue the ring together all at once. Need to pay attention to getting the sled square and parallel when you make it.

Phil
How do you adjust the sled and how do you know if the angle is accurate if you don't do a test ring. It only takes seconds of a degree to cause miss fit.

I use the wedgie sled. As long as your wedgies' angles are accurate, it's almost fool proof, which is what I need. I have made numerous items with up to 24 segment rings without having to glue up in halves. I always clamp up the rings before gluing just to make sure there are no gaps. If I'm making a feature ring with multiple cut and glue sequences, the wedgie sled won't work because the pieces get too small to hold safely. Then you have to use another method. There are lots of ways to cut segments and I just find that the wedgie sled eliminates a lot of trial and error, adjustments and 1/2 ring glue ups.

How do you adjust the sled and how do you know if the angle is accurate if you don't do a test ring. It only takes seconds of a degree to cause miss fit.
Accuracy depends on the wedgie angle being dead-nuts on and the fence edges exactly parallel with the opposite edge. Presumably the CNC router will take care of this.

Here’s a video explaining the concept and use.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj1d9OSA2UQ