• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sorby Proedge vs grinder

I have used a Sorby Pro edge for about a year now. Since I like spending money on stuff I don't need; I bought a Rikon 1hp and a wolverine system to go with it. I'll have to say that for me, the proedge is much easier to use, and seems to give me a better edge on my gouges and scrapers; so as with many tools that I just had to have; It just sits there. The original wheels that came with the grinder are ok, but I'd like to try some norton wheels. I'm not going to get a cbn wheel because I don't think they actually sharpen any better and the quality is all over the place.
I like the flat grind verses the hollow grind of the round wheels. Am I missing something??

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
use what works for you!

For me a flat grind is better on gouges. I sharpen spindle gouges by hand and usually have a slight convex because it’s the what I get Because I usually miss flat. Bow gouges I use the Ellsworth jig and get a concave which works fine. Flat would be a bit better

I like a concave grind on skews because it makes it easier for me to hone.

I liked using the Norton 3x wheels 120 & 60 until I replaced them with CBNs 80 & 180from Ken Rizzo
i sharpened my bowl gouges with the 60 Norton and now with the 80 CBN
CBNs are so smooth, no dressing required

If you are used to it, then keep it. I can't say that I have ever turned with a flat bevel on anything. All of my gouges have a very small cutting bevel because I have ground most of the heel off of all of them, which is necessary for turning the inside of bowls.

robo hippy