• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Three cpap machines

My step son's father died. In his fathers belongings there were three c-pap machines. They all pump air pretty well. . They have replaceable filters at the intakes. Would these work as respirators and what kind of mask can I get to hook up to them. A co worker of my wife has the machine to sterilize them, (A respiratory therapist) I have my own c-pap machine and I suppose I could use the spare mask that came with it. I can still wear safety glasses but it doesn't really shield the face.

I have one in the house, one in the camper and a spare so 3 myself not including the wife's machine. All 4 of ours run on 120v so I'm guessing you would need a long cord to stay plugged in. I have had the mask that covers the nose and mouth, I suppose that would work but you would go through filters pretty quick. I'm thinking it would trash the CPAP fairly fast in a very dusty environment. It would tether you down pretty close to the machine unless you found a way to carry it on your person, then your still tethered to the power cord. They do make portable battery packs for them but I have not used one, I don't think they are inexpensive though. You'd need to wear a separate face shield over your face to protect your eyes/nose, etc. I can't think of any way it would be beneficial to set something up to use one. IMHO

I have one in the house, one in the camper and a spare so 3 myself not including the wife's machine. All 4 of ours run on 120v so I'm guessing you would need a long cord to stay plugged in. I have had the mask that covers the nose and mouth, I suppose that would work but you would go through filters pretty quick. I'm thinking it would trash the CPAP fairly fast in a very dusty environment. It would tether you down pretty close to the machine unless you found a way to carry it on your person, then your still tethered to the power cord. They do make portable battery packs for them but I have not used one, I don't think they are inexpensive though. You'd need to wear a separate face shield over your face to protect your eyes/nose, etc. I can't think of any way it would be beneficial to set something up to use one. IMHO

Thanks. actually, I can easily sit the machine in the next room where it isn't dusty and run the hose/pipe through the wall and across the ceiling to hang down at the lathe. . I'll have to think about it some more.

Well, I have a couple of them that I don't use any more. I switched to a 'mandibular advancement device' which is the mouth guard thing, and I like it a lot better. The CPAP machines would have sufficient air flow to keep a positive pressure face mask set up going. My guess is that the filter on the CPAP would not be up to standards for dust control. I would expect that you would have to fabricate a filter of some sort, maybe even stacking a couple of the ones for the PP dust masks together. This could vary a lot depending on the amount of pressure your machine is set up for. I think it would be a pain to fabricate a mask for your face that would work any where near what the ones that are designed for it do. I did consider that, and the problem is the neoprene fitting that goes around your beard and chin.... I do have one friend that got a mask set up that they use in operating rooms, which is kind of a total head and shoulder covering, and it seems to work well. Not sure what else is out there that could be used. I doubt that there would be any necessity of sterilizing the hose if you are using it in the wood shop, unless you are trying to moisturize the air as it comes through, which shouldn't be necessary since the PP dust masks flow over and around your face and you don't inhale it directly.

robo hippy

I use mine with my Vesaflo 300. The Cpap hose fits right into the helmet and when I turn up Cpap to max, it provides more than enough airflow with a 20 feet extension. I use it as an external fresh air supply system. The unit is installed in a dust proof enclosure and has a feed to the outside. No filter needed, unless you wish to filter the outside air from spiders and other friendly s.