• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using a cage

I've been wondering if any of you use the cage that came with your lathe? Or maybe there is a better aftermarket protective cage available? I've tried the one that came with the Harvey T60-s, but it seems to be right in the way.

My PM3520C came without the cage. The eight PM3520B's we have at the college all have cages, and get used by students and instructors quite a bit for big or out-of-balance pieces. Personally I don't like the cages (for the reason you mentioned), but they have their purpose.

Cages came with the Jet 1642 and PM 3520B I had. I never used them because the only thing they seemed to do well was catch shavings. I put them aside but still had them when I sold the 3520. I still have the 1642 which I much preferred over the 3520, although I no longer use it.

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
None of my lathes have cages. I have demoed and instructed on lathes that come with cages hundreds of times. Only a few had the cages attached and those were being used a shelves or light supports.
So haven’t used one.

I do find that most clubs and symposiums now have shields to protect the audience.
These are often in the way for hollowing bowls. One of my setup procedures is to dry run for the camera person all the various moves I will make during the demo which shows if the handle will hit the shield or the shield will block the best camera angle. Most shields have some adjustments. In any event the dry run let’s us solve the problem without audience participation.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
I have a Jet 1642 and have the cage on. It's main purpose is dust collection. I put a cover on it with my 4" dust hose on the back side and use it for helping keep an airflow pulling stuff toward the back of the cage. It can be in the way sometimes so I might flip it up when turning a large natural edge but try to keep it in place to help with dust and debris collection.

Website
www.ColvinTools.com
I have a Jet 1642 and have the cage on. It's main purpose is dust collection. I put a cover on it with my 4" dust hose on the back side and use it for helping keep an airflow pulling stuff toward the back of the cage. It can be in the way sometimes so I might flip it up when turning a large natural edge but try to keep it in place to help with dust and debris collection.

I’ve heard that if you are used to using it, you don’t notice it any more. Have you found that to be the case?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
Seems so. I don't really notice it unless like I said it interferes with a natural edge bowl. When I first furn the bottom the bark side facing the headstock can sometimes protrude enough to catch it on the edges. It is handy to see much of the dust from turning or sanding being sucked up into the back of it. Helps me feel better about it being down. If it were just for safety I doubt I would be that diligent to remember.