• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Value

Wife stumbled across this listing, but as usual the OP isn’t responding, for a 36” White Oak burl....any idea the value? Thanks.C5F63EF3-013E-4079-AC97-92AA39EF22C1.jpeg

Well, you never know exactly what you are getting until you cut into it. $1/pound can be a fair price. I would ask them what they are expecting for it. At the very least, I would want through cuts on either edge of the burl, which may tell you a lot about the quality of the burl. Of course, you have to figure out how to get it into your truck/van....

robo hippy

IMG_1374S.jpg
This white oak burl was at least 4 times as large as the one you are considering that I paid $200.00 for in 2015 (I have to say that I stole it) . The trailer that it is sitting on has a 5 foot wide bed to give you some idea of the size. The burl wood is not ring porous like ordinary white oak and is denser and harder. The wood is difficult to turn either wed or dry and if you plan to core out bowls you need horsepower and lots of time.

John Jordan

AAW Advisor
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Western burls are probably worth $1 pound, but that wouldn't be. Someone said $200 which sounds more like it. Oak burl like that doesn't have burl "eyes" or typical burl figure, but usually "swirly" grain. Of course these days everyone is a "logger" and they stick metal legs on slices or slabs and charge a lot. That's where a lot of woodworkers started 40 years ago, I guess everything comes around again. LOL

John