• Hi, if you have stumbled across here, welcome to our test site. This site is a working replica of the main aawforum.org website where we test and evalute new features and software updates. While you can login and post here, push notifications and email notifications have been disabled and any and all content on this site will be delelted with no notice. So please feel free to look around at our pile of shavings while we continue to refine the AAW Forums but please do not post any real messages here as no one will see them. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walnut Oil & Gloves?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
I don't use gloves when I apply walnut oil. I get it all over my hands and like many my age it seems to help with my dry skin and cracking on my hands. A friend of mine started turning recently and he looked surprised I don't use gloves to apply it. I do with other finishes of course but not walnut oil. I wouldn't think there's any risk or health issues with getting it on my hands on a regular basis but wondering if anyone has looked into it. He watched a guy on youtube applying it gloves but figured it was just to avoid the mess on his hands.

Do you put on surgical gloves to toss a salad? OK, so you don't use your hands, you use tongs, but that's the closest to clever I came up with.

I wear gloves as the oil leaves my hands feeling greasy and then I leave fingerprints all over the house. But not because of toxicity.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
There is no worry at all if the oils (walnut, flax, tung, etc) are not mixed with metal driers (like cobalt, lead, manganese) or other additives. If the oils are sold as edible, getting it on your hands is no worse than ingesting them. Using oils sold as a finish would dictate some precautions. The only exception to this are those specifically developed and marketed as non-toxic, like polymerized tung and the Tried & True products.

hockenbery

AAW Advisor
Staff member
Beta Tester
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The walnut oil I use is from the grocery store.
It is a food
We used it in kids classes because we figured they could even lick their fingers after applying with no I’ll effects.

commercial preparations not sold in grocery stores may have additives that you want to protect against read the MDS

Well, many years and thousands of bowls using the walnut oils, and apply them by hand with no gloves. My hands feel nice and smooth after I am done. Since I don't do concrete work any more, I don't need extra moisturizer....

robo hippy